About 45% of adults snore occasionally, and 25% snore on a regular basis. Problem snoring is more common in men, people who are overweight, and snoring can get worse as we get older. Snoring can affect our health, because we don’t sleep as well at night. At it can also affect our relationships, because many couples can’t even sleep in the same room at night because of snoring. But there are some ways that we can stop snoring. Here are some tips from the American Academy of Otolaryngology and the Minnesota Regional Sleep Disorders Center:
1. Change your sleep position. Snoring most often occurs when you are lying on your back. In this position the tongue falls towards the throat. When you sleep on your side, air gets through more easily.
2. Lose 10% of your body weight. Bulky neck tissue, which comes with excess weight, increases snoring. Even a modest weight loss will help with this.
3. Avoid alcohol and sedatives. Both alcohol and sedatives such a sleeping pills can inhibit breathing and lead to snoring.
4. Use steam before bed. Nasal congestion is a big cause of snoring. To reduce congestion inhale some steam, or take a steam shower.
5. Try nasal strips. Over the counter nasal strips have been found to provide some relief from congestion and may also help prevent snoring.