Ash’s STAPLE RECIPE: Whipped Cauliflower
Ok. I know it’s not thanksgiving yet, but I’m telling you going low carb for a month brings up all these lower vital urges for sugar and starch. This week’s recipe is one everyone should have as a staple because it’s low carb, high fiber, low calories, and ultra-satisfying. Add sauteed vegetables, stuffed peppers or mushrooms, vegan sausage, or mushroom gravy and this meal is satisfying enough to please even the most adamant carnivores. Ladies and gents, I bring you the ultimate mashed cauliflower.
Mashed Cauliflower with Roasted Garlic & Chives
- 1 large cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 2 big cloves of roasted garlic (or 1 clove raw garlic)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Roast Your Garlic Cloves (optional) Preheat the oven to 325Ã‚Â°F. Cut off the end of the garlic cloves to expose the flesh. Place them on a piece of foil, drizzle them with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper. Wrap the cloves up with the foil and place them on baking pan. Bake them for 1 hour. The cloves should be soft and fragrant. When cooled, pop the cloves from their skins, and mash them up before incorporating them into your dish.
- Chop the head of cauliflower into small florets.
- Place cauliflower in a large pot and fill with just enough water to cover the florets.
- Bring the water to boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Steam until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower well.
- Place the cauliflower in a large bowl, and puree with potato masher or immersion (stick) blender.
- Mix in remaining ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.