New Day, New Decade
New Day, New Decade
2011 is well under way. Not only is this a new year, it’s a new decade! We had our grand finale, wrapping up 2010 with the solstice and coinciding full moon and lunar eclipse, bringing change and a shift in energy. And now, January 4 welcomes a new moon, signaling new beginnings.
Many of us choose to set New Year’s resolutions, goals that we work towards to better ourselves in one way or another. This is a good exercise, as it helps us to consider what we want for ourselves, and how we can take action to make things happen.
Of course, we can set goals at any time. Many people choose their birthdays to do this because it’s a time of reflection. You might also choose any new moon, or the beginning of any season. These are all natural times to invoke change.
We know the importance of setting goals, and we know how good it feels when we reach those goals. But at the same time, we need to remember that each step is an important part of the process. We need to recognize this, and understand that we are moving forward. This will keep us invested in the long run. Breaking down “big” goals into more easily achievable steps is a good way to mark our progress. We are learning and growing every day.
We can learn a lot about ourselves by looking at our goals and our desires. There’s a reason why we want what we want. And we wouldn’t want it if it weren’t attainable. We learn and grow on the way to our goals.
Desire is our greatest motivator because it spurs us into action! Through action comes experience, achievement, accomplishment, and many great things. We are busy fulfilling our desires everyday, and sometimes so easily that we aren’t even aware of what we are doing. So, when setting your resolution, or goal, look at your desires first. These are the steps you can take to get things going:
1. Recognize that you have this desire. Label it. Define it. Know it.
2. Evaluate the desire – do you REALLY want it? What is it exactly that you really want? Explain it to yourself. Make sure that it makes sense to you, and that you understand why you want this, and what it means to you to achieve this goal.
3. Create an intention to fulfill the desire, to reach your goal. Make that commitment. Set this as a priority in your life.
4. Release the desire to the universe – state your intention clearly. It’s a good idea to write it down, and then burn the piece of paper, or file it away somewhere with the date on it.
5. Give up any attachment to what happens. Just let it go, knowing anything can happen, the outcome is usually better than we ever could have anticipated. In spirit, there is no time or space. Be flexible, be open, and observe how things unfold.
6. Let the universe handle the details – don’t try to control or manipulate how things occur. Rather than making demands, leave room to allow nature to take its course in whatever way, shape, or form that might be. There’s always some reason behind everything that happens, so have a little faith that work is being done even if you don’t see it. Know that creation and growth takes place every moment.
7. Feel grateful, and express gratitude! Your emotions electrify the process.
8. Be aware of things that happen that may help you to achieve your goal. There are no accidents, and no coincidences in life. When opportunities arise, be ready to embrace them.
9. Celebrate every success and let it build your confidence and warm your heart. Continue to express gratitude all along the way.
Happy new day, happy new year, happy new decade!